two phase separation can be divided in:
1 - Gas/liquid separation
2 - Liquid/liquid separation
3 - Gas/solid separation
In all these cases both wire mesh separators and vane pack separators
can be used to eliminate liquid droplets or separate two liquids
or solid particles but, the choose of which technology apply as
to carefully checked in function of work conditions, cross velocity
and requested performances.
Separation of liquid droplets from a gas flow using a wire
Separation of liquid droplets from a gas flow using vane
most common separator used to eliminate liquid droplets from
a gas flowrate are wire mesh pads and vane packs.
- Wire mesh pads: the metallic wire mesh
layers form a very dense cellular structure. Passing through
it, the liquid drops are captured by the coalescent effect of
the mesh. Then they are eliminated by gravity.
- Vane packs: this separators are made with
a variable number of vanes (with or without hooks). Vanes and
hooks intercept and separate the liquids droplets passing through
- Efficiency: wire mesh separators can separate
smaller droplets (usually till 3 microns of diameter) compared
with vane packs (usually till 8/10 microns).
- Velocity: on the other side wire mesh demisters
usually work with a very low velocity and vane packs can afford
velocity very much higher.
When high efficiency of separation and high crossing speed are
the working condition is possible to mesh the wire mesh and
vane separators using an "High performance vane
LIQUID/LIQUID SEPARATION -
of liquid-liquid separation made with plate pack and wire
In this case the internals provide the separation of two immiscible
liquids. This operation can be performed by two differnts
kind of internal:
- Wire mesh coalescer: made by wire mesh
as the demisters but with different kind of layers and a bigger
- Plate pack separators: made by parallel
plates crossed by the liquid flow.
- Velocity and performances: as in the case
of gas/liquid separation the wire mesh internal needs crossing
speed lower than plate plate but allows higher performances.
Advantagies: Liquid/liquid separation allows
to obtain some of these advantages:
- reduction of dimensions and costs of vessels
- increasing of the purification of products
- decreasing of the loosing of glicol, ammine and other expensive
GAS/SOLID SEPARATION -
in a desalination plant
Wire mesh cell
this case wire mesh demisters are used to eliminate solid
particulate from a vapour or a gas.
Some common application are:
- desalination plants, where salt is separated from the air
flow. The intercepted droplets of salt become solid inside
the mesh pad and, after some time, the demister needs to be
- air filtration and purification needed in a lot of different
industrial and food process
- filtration of solid particulate coming from some mechanical
processes like, for example, drawing of metallic wire.
AFP Tech Srl -
Registered office: Via Campagnola 30/A, 23854 - Olginate (LC) – Italy
03292570136 / Tax Code: IT 03292570136 / R.E.A.: n° 312452
Capital: Euro 50.000,00 i.v.
- Sales office: email@example.com - Mobile: